It’s all about your zip code right?
Choosing where to work is the best feature of being an expat entrepreneur
My foundation business – Enhance Marketing – has been going strong for five years. For four of those years, I worked out of my home in Wisconsin. I made fantastic updates to my working space as time went on, and my business success grew.
- My first year was a trial year. I worked in our guest room downstairs with guest bed and an old desk setup.
- My second year, I replaced the guest bed with a dedicated desk.
- My third year involved freshly painted walls and added a second monitor and monitor stands.
- My fourth year included space for my two “coworkers” as my children transferred to eLearning.
- My fifth year involves being in Barbados and working from my villa or rooftop coworking space.
Years 3 and 4 brought the realization that my business was successful. It brought to light in addition to the benefits of working from home, working independently and controlling my schedule, I could add one more. Working from ANYWHERE.
Time is relative. Whether we’re 2 hours or 7 hours apart from different places in the world, work can continue. I currently work with clients on the west and east coasts of the United States, as well as those in the Netherlands and Australia.
If you’re interested in becoming a digital nomad or expat entrepreneur, there are many types of visas to explore. In my research, I’ve come across three month, six month, annual and two year opportunities. By entering your nationality and target destination, you can source many possibilities.
Two that have had an immediate impact in my life are the Welcome Stamp and the Dutch American Friendship Treaty (DAFT). The Welcome Stamp is how I found myself working on an island amongst beautiful green hills, turquoise waters and coastal breeze.